Illustrator 9.0 Installation Question
J***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 17:56:07 UTC
This will probably seem both bizarre and pathetic, but I have a licensed copy of Illustrator 9.0 (circa 2000) which has remained sealed and unused until now. Obviously, I haven't had a great need for this s/w, but I've been curious about what it can do, so thought I'd check it out. So, now it's unsealed and I may or may not install it depending on the answer to my question: Does this code really take up 4GB?!?! When I start to step through the install wizard, the amount of required space is listed as 4194303K. This seems like an insane amount of space for a single app; it's not a whole lot less than all of WinXP!

I balk at this number because I partitioned my HDD, reserving one partition for my apps. While I have about 14GB of free space left, I'm not inclined to dedicate over 28% of that to a single application — especially one that I have no real pressing need for. I guess I'm posting this question in hopes that maybe it's a typo or something... given that the number seems so out-of-wack. Thanks in advance for your answer. —JM
H***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 18:17:14 UTC
Does this code really take up 4GB?!?!

Highly unlikely, Joseph.

The install wizard is probably allowing for some overhead during installation -- possibly even for a minimal amount of post-installation scratch disk space... which is something you'll have to keep in mind.

My Illustrator 10 installation folder is about 90MB. The additional space taken up under Documents and Settings is less than 1MB. Even with new fonts that might also be installed, you're looking at less than 100MB.

Ideally, you'll have a decent-sized partition you can use for scratch disk space, which you will assign in preferences after installation. What's 'decent-sized'? That depends on the kind of files you'll be creating or editing, how many files you'll have open at once, etc. I'd say 10-20GB is a comfortable number. Note, also, that scratch space can be spread out over more than one volume/partition.
K***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 18:18:06 UTC
No, no. Illustrator 9 as well as 10 is one of those versions which do require rather little space.

Don't know the exact values as for AI 9 at the moment, but it's about at most 100 MB.
K***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 18:20:59 UTC
Oh, that 'no' was not addressed to you, Harron ;-)
H***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 18:28:27 UTC
I know, Kurt.

#8~)
J***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 19:27:00 UTC
Thanks for the help, guys. It was well worth the effort to run this by you. I'll go ahead with the install.

BTW- if you wanna see a screencap of the dialogue box that gave me the impression that the install requires 4GB, take a look at this:

—JM
J***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 21:23:17 UTC
FWIW- I did a custom install and installed everything. The install wizard said I needed 120MB, but when all is said and done, my install directory is only 64MB. I couldn't find that many files on my C-drive; so, one wonders what's up with the other 56MB?

Thanks again for the help.
—JM
H***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 21:25:00 UTC
...one wonders what's up with the other 56MB?

Who knows?

BTW, if your install disk is for 9.0, download and install the updates to get up to 9.0.2.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1086>

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1100>
J***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-04 22:19:41 UTC
Thanks for the tip. I'll get he updates.

I also installed Photoshop 6.0 from disc, and I'm wondering if there are similar updates for that.

Thanks again,
—JM
H***@adobeforums.com
2008-04-05 02:30:33 UTC
There was a Photoshop 6.01 update.

All Adobe product updates can be accessed via this page:

<http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/?ogn=EN_US-gntray_dl_updates>